If you’re thinking of fitting laminate flooring, look no further. We are suppliers and expert fitters of laminate floors. Operating in Melksham, Chippenham and Bath, we aim to be the best at what we do.
What is laminate flooring?
Laminates are made up from layers of natural wood combined with other materials. Typically, there’s a top layer of transparent polymer, a pattern layer (made from real wood or printed paper), a fibreboard and resin layer and a water-resistant underside. These layers have been pressed together under huge temperatures and pressures to produce a unique and versatile flooring material.
Is laminate flooring right for your home?
Laminates offer some of the positives of wooden flooring without the disadvantages:
- They’re very hard-wearing. Of course everything depends on the amount of foot traffic and how they’re looked after, but a cheaper laminate might be expected to last for 10-20 years, and a brand-leader from 20-35 years.
- They’re easy to fit. We still always recommend a professional fitting service for the best results, but there’s no question laminates are much easier (and therefore cheaper) to fit than a wooden floor.
- Laminated woods cope better with water and other spillages. They shouldn’t be left with pools of standing water on them, but they’re nowhere near as vulnerable as real woods.
- Like real wood, laminates are warm underfoot.
- Though obviously harder than some materials, they’re also softer than ceramics or stone flooring.
- Though prices vary, laminates are considerably cheaper than real wood alternatives.
So are there any disadvantages compared to a solid wood floor? Only one: to most people’s eyes, they lack the warmth and charm of a real wooden floor. As an engineered material, they lack the organic feel and appearance of real wood. For some homeowners, that’s a deal-breaker; others will feel it’s a compromise well worth accepting.
For a full discussion about laminate flooring options in your home, get in touch.
From beginning to end, BSB were excellent. Swift to come out and give me an estimate and advice. It was obvious from the first meeting that Ben knew his profession well. Great positive attitude from him and all the team.mamalu